Tim and Tamara's Weblog

If you're reading this, you must be REALLY bored.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

More Technical Difficulties

With my desktop's main hard drive dead, I decided to try linux full time while waiting for the replacement. The distribution I'm using is Ubuntu 5.04, and for the most part I really like it, but I'm still going back to Windows 2000 when my new drive comes in.

There are several things that I really like about Ubuntu. It only needs a single installation cd, the installation process is straightforward and quick, the system comes with most of the programs that I prefer to use as defaults (including apt and synaptic for package management), and it has been relatively painless to work with in general. In fact, Tamara has been able to use it for most of the things that she normally uses my desktop for, the only thing she really misses is photoshop.

However, the system has two glaring problems; first, windows file sharing does not work, the service simply fails to start no matter what I try, and second, the whole thing keeps crashing on me! Several times a day I come back to a blank screen that refuses to wake up and needs to be rebooted. Ubuntu would be a great desktop distribution if it weren't for this. But if I ever do get around to building a file/media/web server I think it will have to use Fedora Core since that's the only distro I can consistenly get everything to work in, even if it's a bit more work to get set up initially.

Other than that, our TV is once again having that annoying problem where it doesn't actually shut off. It just blanks the screen and keeps making that horrible high pitched noise that it makes when it's been on for awhile. Usually this lasts for a couple of days and then it starts turning off properly again. And finally, the lawnmower died on my today half way through the lawn and I could not get it to restart. It's currently in the shed thinking about what it's done. Hopefully it will feel like cooperating tomorrow.

-Tim

1 Comments:

Blogger tjmcardl said...

Yeah, but that still doesn't solve my other problems. Realistically, linux is still too difficult for me to use as my primary desktop. And I still need windows for games and such anyway, I never have any need to boot into linux.

Really I'm just playing around with it for now.

5/31/2005 04:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home