Tim and Tamara's Weblog

If you're reading this, you must be REALLY bored.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Temporary Armistice

The beta version of Ubuntu 6 - Dapper Drake was posted last week and, fool that I am, I couldn't resist trying it. At first, I just tried updating with the built in update-manager and it actually went pretty smoothly except that it left me without network access (this is on the desktop connected via wireless). Overall, I wasn't too surprised by that, but I was surprised that my second attempt--trying to install the new beta from the disc--was even worse.

I realize that GUIs are all the rage and everything, but having to boot up into the live cd just to get to the installer was a pain. Plus, the live cd limited my screen's resolution to 640x480 and the installer screens were bigger than that! I had to constantly move the window around to either read the text or make sure I was clicking the correct buttons. And to add insult to injury, the installer failed to detect my wireless internet and the whole thing failed anyway while trying to install the bootloader.

I reinstalled from the ubuntu 5.10 disc, which had no problem connecting to my wireless network (encryption was turned off for the install, but I did eventually get it all working with WPA), and then, being a masochist, I tried to upgrade again. Predictably it borked the net again, but this time I was sure I was ready.

At this point, I still don't know what went wrong. But my computer and I have reached a temporary arrangement; it'll connect wirelessly, with WPA encryption--but only if I enter the command manually.

Hmm, I guess I really don't have any impressions of the actual operating system yet. :P

-Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home