Tim and Tamara's Weblog

If you're reading this, you must be REALLY bored.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Teachers

The fall semester officially started today, and the Physics 140 sections that I'm TAing will meet for the first time next week. As my back to school assignment this year, I decided to write a post dedicated to my favorite teachers and what I learned from each of them about teaching.

Mrs. Gallagher--all subjects, 3rd Grade--is still my favorite teacher of all time, she was by far the most dedicated and enthusiastic teach I have ever had. Mostly what I took from her, was that you should know your students as well as you can. Know their strengths and weaknesses, know what they know, know how they learn best. And remember them long after they're no longer your students, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mrs. Gallagher would recognize me even now.

Mr. Mayfield--AP calc-based Physics, Senior year of high school--taught me that it's possible to identify with your students without trying too hard. Basically, it's helps to be like them, but never try to be one of them. You can display the interests/concerns/experiences you have in common with them, but don't dwell on them. We all thought it was cool that he once didn't get our papers graded on time because he spent all night playing Quake, but he would never have tried to involve himself with our games.

Prof. Selen--Modern Physics Lab, Senior year undergrad, and supervisor in the Physics Van, all undergrad--is always genuinely excited about the subject. After all, if you're not, they won't be. And you should always be able to answer (or find the answer to) any question, no matter how wide of the original topic. And sometimes you just need to explain things in lots of different ways until you find the one that clicks with your students.

Prof. Eckstein--E and M I & II, Thermal Physics, sophomore/Junior year undergrad, and graduate research advisor--is also very good about being overtly excited about the subject he's teaching. But what I've gotten most from him so far is that when a student is wrong/doesn't understand a concept, use what they know to lead them to the answer, rather than simply correcting them. Ask them leading questions and they'll figure it out for themselves and remember it much better. Not that he's ever used that technique on me.

-Tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home